Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Election 2008 - A celebration of mediocrity.

I hate to even talk about politics, but it has definitely been a disheartening year. Neither candidate seems qualified to me, but one of the candidates is very scary. This year my vote will be more of a vote AGAINST Barack Obama than a vote FOR John McCain. It cracks me up that each candidate points out that the other is out of touch. That is one point they are both right on!! Out of touch is an understatement!

If I have to hear the word 'fair' too many more times I might puke. 'Fair' is the word of choice for the Obama campaign but he must have a strange definition of the word. Nothing he is proposing sounds fair to me. He says he will raise taxes on the rich and on corporations. Corporations are already paying 40+% in taxes to the government. It seems UNfair to me that any entity or person should have to give almost half of what they use their industry to produce to the government. He is quoted as saying we need to get rid of the Bush tax cuts - that sounds like raising taxes to me! Those tax cuts have really helped out the small business owners (of which I am one). Also, his 'tax cut' to the middle class is a one time $1000 dollar payment. PLEASE!! That wouldn't pay our expenses for a month! What about after that?? Hang on to your wallets people - before you know it we will all be classified as 'rich'.

He says he wants jobs to stay in America - his plan will drive them out quicker than they are currently leaving. Why pay 40%+ in taxes when you can pay so much less in other countries? He's not Robin Hood but he uses the phrase 'take from the rich and give to the poor' and how we need to be more 'equal'. (Not to mention his patronzing, condescending tone). I don't know where most Americans get their education, but in Canada, we learned the difference between capitalism and communism and 'fair' and 'equal' are communist talking points and we know how that little theory has played out on the world stage. Fair to me means that if I earn the money, I get to keep most of it and make my own decision on how best to use it! Isn't it a little scary to be talking about people 'making too much money'??

He also openly admits that raising taxes won't increase revenue for the government, but lower it. He says it's not about revenue, it's about what's 'fair'. WRONG!! Collecting taxes is all about raising revenue for the government. If he is going to lower government revenue, how is he going to pay for all these 'wonderful' programs he says we need? When he spoke at the high school here a few months ago, he said that increased government efficiency would pay for these programs (specifically healthcare). What a crock!! When was the last time the government did anything efficiently?? Please give me one example because I haven't come up with one yet!!

Don't even get me started on socialized medicine!! Suffice it to say that I grew up in a socialized medical system and I am SO glad that I am raising my children here where they can get care when they need it! Yes - there are problems with the system, but letting the government take over is not the solution.

One other thing that really gets me is that Americans seem so anxious to vote for the candidate that the terrorists are hoping will win. Why do the terrorists want Obama to win?? Do they want America to live or die?? Honestly - who needs another reason not to vote for him than our enemies support him? And while we're on the subject - where did much of the HALF BILLION dollars Obama raised for his campaign come from? He won't say - does that sound fishy to you? I would love to find out how much of that money came from enemies!

Don't get me wrong - John McCain isn't a great choice either. He has often acted like a Democrat in disguise as a senator. The one thing he has going for him to me is that he does not have a history of overspending. He doesn't do porkbarrel projects and, honestly, we could use a lot less of that! He also has no qualms about standing up to our enemies. Ok, so that's two things going for him.

It seems like Republicans and Democrats alike have forgotten what our forefathers knew - that real power comes when the people are free from oppression - including the burden of supporting a bloated and, in some ways, corrupt government. They are like the monkey with his hand in the cookie jar. They won't let go of the power they have even though there is greater power to be had by doing so.

Perhaps there needs to be a change in how the candidates are selected. Both sides complained of too much influence from outside their own parties and I think that both parties ended up with less-than-ideal candidates. I was listening to the Republican senator from Oklahoma (Tom Coburn) speak the other day and found myself wondering where he was when the party was choosing their candidate. But then I realized that he's not been the most popular senator on Capitol Hill - guess why? - he has ideas for real change would reign in the federal governments far-reaching grasp. Hmmm - for all the talk we hear about 'change' the less anything seems to. For Obama especially, it seems like 'change' is something we talk about but don't actually engage in (the best example of that being his selection for vice-pres).

I thought that John McCain might have learned from his selection for vice-president. Republicans got excited about Sarah Palin because she stood for something and wasn't afraid to say it. For all the talk of 'change' we've been hearing about, her selection was the only real 'change' we saw! She's more manly than her running mate and the men she's running against! John McCain would do well to find his backbone and use it.

As a naturalized American citizen, I would love to see America remain a thriving, prosperous nation, but it looks like it may be an uphill battle. Historically, Americans haven't been content to take the easy way out and that's one reason it's such a great place to be. Why should the government solve my problems when I am capable of solving them myself?

No comments: